Remedial massage therapy is a treatment oriented therapy which deals with the assessment and treatment of injuries and musculo-skeletal conditions. It involves the treatment of the muscles, fascia (connective tissue), ligaments and tendons which are prone to overuse, overloading, shortening or lengthening and this can produce all kinds of aches, pains and injuries.
Remedial massage focuses on specific muscle pain and tightness. Muscle energy techniques are incorporated into the routine to release muscle tightness. A postural analysis can be carried out to assess any muscular or structural imbalances.
Here are a few brief points about why remedial massage can help you:
- Improve physical performance by helping to loosen contracted, shortened muscles and stimulate weak muscles.
- Aid recovery by flushing waste products from exercised muscles.
- Prevent injuries by reducing muscle tightness and improving neuromuscular activation. This increases joint range of motion and flexibility to assist joints moving more congruently.
- Reduce stress by having some “down time”. Whilst you are having this down time the neuromuscular communication between the central and peripheral nervous system and muscles is stimulated helping you focus before performance.
- Treat and manage chronic pain such as neck, shoulder and back pain by stimulating fluid flow and reducing stiffness in muscles and joints.
- Improve posture by reducing muscle tension and addressing muscle imbalance.